Foundation Beyond Belief is organizing a virtual 5k for runners, walkers, and rollers anywhere and everywhere to support food banks serving communities at high-risk for food insecurity in the U.S., as well as FBB's Humanist Action: Ghana program. With the closure of businesses and schools as a result of COVID-19, as well as dangerous health conditions for many workers, structural inequalities in the U.S. and abroad have been highlighted and amplified. Food insecurity is growing rapidly among those already at risk. But together we can support those who are most impacted.
FBB's staff will be walking and running in TX, FL, PA, MI, AZ, and Cape Coast, Ghana. Your donations will help us support people facing increased food insecurity as a result of COVID-19 in the U.S. and Ghana.
Click here to support us!
Want to join us?
Team up with your friends, family, coworkers, or secular community and get moving to raise money for the cause. Do NOT break quarantine/shelter-in-place guidelines to participate. Your 5k can be in your neighborhood if it’s possible to do so while practicing safe social distancing. If leaving home isn’t an option, give your treadmill some attention. No treadmill? Take a walk around (and around and around!) your home. One man ran a marathon on his balcony!
The main event will be Sunday, May 10th starting at 12 pm Eastern. However, your 5k can be any time during the Week of Action. Teammates don’t even have to race at the same time!
Where does the money go?
The team that raises the most money can choose a secular food bank to receive at least $1,000 at the conclusion of the fundraiser. The remaining funds will go to people with disabilities and low-income communities in Ghana, as well as secular organizations with food banks supporting vulnerable communities in the US.
How to participate:
- Form a team (teams can been any size, even 1 person)
- Create a GoFundMe campaign or Facebook fundraiser with Foundation Beyond Belief as the beneficiary. Follow the links below for step-by-step instructions.
- How to create a GoFundMe campaign (You can see FBB’s staff campaign here as an example)
- How to create a Facebook fundraiser from your group’s page
- How to create a Facebook fundraiser from your personal page
- Share your GoFundMe campaign or Facebook fundraiser asking people to sponsor your run. Have a goal that makes sense for the size of your team. We suggest aiming for $100 per person.
- Add your event to the Secular Week of Action event list. Help demonstrate secular people’s shared commitment to making this world, here and now, a better place.
- Don’t forget to like the Secular Week of Action Facebook page—and tag us in posts about your 5k and use the hashtags #SecularAction #WeekofAction.
- Between May 1st and May 10th run, walk, or roll your 5k! Share your pictures and results using the hashtags #SecularAction And #WeekOfAction.
- If you are part of the Beyond Belief Network, don’t forget to submit your event.
As always, don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or suggestions. You can reply to this email, or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let’s hit the ground running to build a more humanist world!