About Beyond Belief Network
Beyond Belief Network (BBN) is designed to encourage and assist humanist organizations, local groups, and volunteer teams to serve their communities.
BBN is a collective of over 100 local volunteer teams that are putting compassion into action through community service and charitable fundraising. These teams are located in 27 states (and DC) across the U.S. and seven countries around the world. To date, BBN teams have collectively donated over 227,000 hours of community service (valued at $6.1M), and counting.
FBB assists teams with ideas and tips for service, planning events, and finding existing opportunities for service in their areas. Teams can then submit reports about their events to earn perks like t-shirts, grants, and national recognition.
Teams that are providing services related to FBB's mission of addressing poverty-related causes (including access to food, water, and basic necessities) are encouraged to apply. Individuals looking for volunteer opportunities can connect to local teams, seek advice on starting a team, or get ideas for volunteering as an individual.
The Beyond Belief Network puts humanist hands and hearts to work every day in local communitites.
How does it work?
BBN exists to offer support, visibility, and community to organizations that are working to serve their local communities.
FBB aids groups in researching, planning, and promoting events by providing a range of event guides and networking events. Our online community is available to help brainstorm, troubleshoot, and offer support.
We also provide all kinds of perks, including free t-shirts, grants for service projects, and a range of awards. Teams become eligible for these awards by participating in service events and submitting event reports.
Being a part of BBN means that your team will join a national movement of humanists visibly working towards a better world.
Are you an individual interested in humanist volunteering? We will do our best to connect you to a nearby team, offer ideas for how you can find projects on your own, or give you guidance on starting your own team.
A BBN event is any gathering of your team to work for good, whether by volunteering, raising funds for a good cause, or a combination of the two.
The more events a team has during the year, the higher level they reach. Every level comes with eligibility for different and larger perks. Teams can level up by reporting events through the BBN event reporting form. Some events count as a single credit toward leveling up while other events count as two credits toward leveling up. Event guidelines for single and double credit are:
- Single credit: Service activities that are related to FBB's mission, which are undertaken through other organizations, such as volunteering food bank or a food pantry.
- Single credit: Fundraisers for current FBB beneficiaries, such as the Compassionate Impact Grant recipient or other Beyond Belief Network teams.
- Double credit: Service activities related to hunger and food insecurity, which are set up and sponsored or co-sponsored by the BBN team itself such as food distribution or food rescue.
- Double credit: Fundraisers for FBB and current
For ideas for service events, see the BBN resources page.
BBN teams can earn up to $1,000 in perks per calendar year by by submitting event reports to achieve a new BBN level.
- Bronze Level = 4 points
- Silver Level = 8 points
- Gold Level = 12 points
Requirements for student teams have been adjusted to 75% in order to fit the shorter timeframe of the academic year.
- Bronze Level = 3 points
- Silver Level = 6 points
- Gold Level = 9 points
*Teams have up to one month after an event to submit their event report.
**Levels renew on an annual basis. Teams return to Level 0 each January and have the opportunity to level up, with all the associated perks (such as t-shirts and grants) renewing each year.
All BBN teams receive the following benefits:
- Access to closed Facebook group (for networking and ideas)
- Profile on FBB website (name, location, website)
- FBB and BBN newsletters
- Updates and tips from BBN
- Event promotion on FBB social media before your service event with two weeks notice (as space allows)
- Vetting of potential volunteer beneficiaries (if requested and available)
- Personal FBB staff support in major charity initiatives (as requested and available)
- $250 t-shirt credit (ordered through FBB) with the option for inclusion of BBN team logo
- $250 grant for service projects
- Priority in promotion and vetting requests
- $500 grant for service projects
- Highest priority in promotion and vetting requests
- Eligibility to win additional grants